SPORTS MASSAGE FAQ

1. What is a concussion?

A concussion is a disruption in how the brain is working without any noticeable damage. This is caused by shaking of the brain inside the skull. A concussion can result without the loss of consciousness or hitting your head. 

 

2.What is post-concussion syndrome?

Post-concussion syndrome is the symptoms that remain following the initial concussion. Some research will suggest the post-concussive phase starts anywhere between 1-3 months. Each individual responds very differently to a concussion. More importantly is to recognize the symptoms felt do not always mean there is still physical damage. 

 

3. How long does it take a concussion to heal?

80-85% of concussions resolve within 10 days. The remaining 15% vary.  There are things that can be done to help the process. Every concussion is specific to the individual, therefore the recovery should be tailored to the patient. 

 

4. Does Acupuncture hurt?

Acupuncture uses a very small gauged needle, the width of a piece of hair, to push in between skin cells. Some people feel mild discomfort when the needle goes in, but are otherwise very comfortable.

 

5. What is Active Release Technique?

Active release is soft tissue technique designed to improve the mobility of tissue in the body. It uses tension along lines of stress to increase the glide of different layers of tissue. In doing so it can help relieve pressure, improve function and reduce symptoms. 

 

6. What is Massage Therapy?

Massage therapy uses the hands to manipulate tissue to decrease pain, improve range of motioned and function. Pressure used during massage can also cause the nervous to relax, reducing stress and improving mood. Massage therapy can also be used to improve function before activities or help with recovery following activities.

 

7. What is Sports Massage?

Sports massage is the use of massage therapy tailored specific to a sport or type of athlete. Techniques are used prior to, during or after an event with the goal of optimizing athletic performance. Specific injuries can also be addressed through soft tissue techniques, rehabilitation and taping and bracing techniques.

 

8. Is Massage Therapy meant to be painful?

No it is not! “ hurts so good” or “sweet pain” are common phrases used by our clients its important to note that all Massage Therapists  work with a pain scale that helps us determine if you are exceeding what is considered to be a therapeutic amount of pressure, and we will check in throughout the treatment to ensure your comfort levels and we will offer cues to help you determine where you’re at!

 

 

9. Is it safe to receive Massage Therapy while pregnant?

Massage Therapy can be a very safe and effective method in treating pregnancy-related aches and pains. We advise that prior to booking a massage therapy appointment you consult with your Midwife or OB before seeking massage therapy to ensure there are no associated risks for yourself.

 

 

10. If I’ve had a sudden change in health do I need to tell my RMT?

Yes! It’s vital we have a full health picture before formulating a treatment plan and in some cases before determining if massage therapy is advisable at the time of the appointment. If you are awaiting results from diagnostic testing and you have an appointment booked, we ask you contact our clinic and communicate this change to your massage therapist. Depending on the condition or injury Massage Therapy could be contraindicated at this time, meaning it may not be considered advisable to receive massage therapy. If this is the case our front desk staff will postpone your appointment until either more information has been obtained or when it is considered once again safe to receive massage therapy.